Tuesday 15 April 2008

Fashion Apathy

Considering my last post was all a positive spin on my geographical position, I've decided to have a little rant about the negatives. Actually it is mostly one thing that bugs me. I think it is safe to say that the city of Saint John, New Brunswick, is not the most fashionable city on the planet. It may in fact be pretty safe to assume that it is the least fashionable city on the planet.

There is definitely something charming about the complete apathy towards fashion here. For example there is NO irony involved in any lumberjack style that you may spot in New Brunswick. It is pretty easy to stand out, which is nice. So I don't get 'style intimidation' that frequently. The down side of that however, is that there is a serious lack on inspiration for me. This is one of the reasons I am enjoying wardrobe remix so much. I have been forced to find my muses online instead of on 'da street'.

New Brunswick is, and always has been, a poor province. Therefore it is really tricky to find good thrift clothes. Value Village has a little to offer in the clothing dept, but the maritime phenomenon Guy's Frenchys (a thrift store chain) can sometimes surprise me. Part of the reason for that could be because lots of the items from Frenchys come from the States. Trouble is, the items are all relatively new, not much in the vintage realm.

Anyway, I have been considering the prospect of running some sort of 'Saint John Style' feature on my blog. Doing something like face hunter but on a miniscule scale. Though I just don't know if I would have enough material to make it worthwhile**. Plus it would mean I would actually have to venture into the 'city' once in a while.

** I feel I should probably note that i know a lot of people who dress well here. It isn't that people don't know how to look good. But if you are looking edge, experimentation, vintage charm or breaking conventional rules with fashion, New Brunswick is ever so slightly behind Soho ;o)

And on that note, I shall invite you to have a wee looksie at the pictures I took of my items for my etsy shop. I wanted the shop to have a continual feel, so I shot all the items with the same dotty wrapping paper background. It might be a little too girly for me, but it will work for now.

7 comments:

megan said...

I'd like to see the style of New Brunswick. It would be neat to see how people on the East Coast do things (I'm from Vancouver).

http://mallratcouture.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Isabel said...

New Brunswick, eh? I've always wanted to venture out East, it seems beautiful. I live in Ontario.

The girl with a curl. said...

Just wanted to let you know that i think your creations are lovely! Saw them from a friend on facebook (the place where everyone knows everything about everyone) and wanted to tell you it's creative wonderfulness!

Know what you mean about Frenchy's in the atlantic provices of canada! I'm orginally from there (although live in england now) and miss unique dirt cheap clothes! all they have here are charity shops... which do not compare at all.

keep up the work!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I stumbled across your images on flickr. From the looks of the view from your porch in most of your photos, you must live very very close to my parents, who are on the kennebecasis river.
I'm coming home in a couple weeks. I was wondering where I could find your purses in SJ? I'd love to see them in person.

Katie said...

stumbled upon your blog through flickr wardrobe_remix. Congrats about smudge (I know wrong post to be commenting on). I love Frenchys! My family has a farmhouse and cottage in Nova Scotia right near Baie Vert, NB. I've gone there almost ever summer of my life, and I love the slower pace of the maritime provinces, but I know the seeming lack of fashion sense. The way of life certainly lends itself to good times with good friends.

Jignov said...

Very nice post, If you are looking for some trendy women's ,men's and kid's online boutique with a multitude of styles and fits, colors then you may visit https://www.jignov.com/women/ethnic-wears/kurta-sets.html which providing the largest online ethnic wear outfits.